Are you putting your best content on your website but getting dismal traffic?
Are you writing blog posts, pouring your heart and soul into your content and getting no response?
Does your website have a high bounce rate? Is traffic coming from qualified prospects? Are you converting your traffic?
This is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to online marketing. The nuances of building an online presence is changing.There's more competition, more noise, more channels, and more vulnerabilities than ever before. On the other side of the coin, there's more more opportunitity than ever before.
This is a big game. There's a lot at stake. The influencers gain more influence. Influence = traffic.
You might have really useful information but it is buried. With authority sites taking the first few pages of results, coupled with affilate marketers hijacking traffic on niche topics, it is a daunting task for the average small business to be found in search.
Here's a few things to commit to if you want your business found in search:
- Never stop studying keyword research - pour over your own website analytics and use Google Insights and Google Adwords Keyword Tool
- Know what is working for your SEO (on page and off): Use Google Webmaster Tools - there's awesome information about the way the search engines see your site, how your pages rank for various queries, where your links are coming from, reports on crawl errors and malware that might be on your site.
- Optimize Local Search - if you are confused by local search and strapped for time, David Mihm provides the best resource on local search ranking factors
- Take the time to produce good content. Quality over quantity. It takes practice and paying attention. If you are excited about what you are doing, find a way to talk about it. Use the Flip or screencasting tools for quick videos, subscribe to industry blogs and forums, think about ways to present your information visually -here's a great example of an infographic- The Landing Page Manifesto Typographic Essay.
- Connect. Be real and be sociable. The number of followers will grow organically and will produce lasting results if you are connecting because you care.
Don't get lost in the sea of information. Keep talking about your business, your passions and what you value. Fight for it. You deserve it. Whew. I just needed that little pep talk!